Plastic can be fantastic when you follow these safety tips.
We’re living the debit and credit card era where "plastic money" is popular and the majority of shops, restaurants, hotels, etc. accept this type of payment. Most of us have at least one card. But with great convenience comes greater security concerns because of criminals and frauds.
With the following security tips from Credit Libanais, you can get the most out of your debit and credit cards while reducing the risks:
- Make sure you get SMS alerts for all your debit and credit card transactions sent straight to your personal mobile.
- Always keep your debit or credit card in view, even at restaurants. Never leave it unattended.
- Only swipe your debit or credit card on a point of sale (POS). Do not accept to swipe it on any other device (like a cash register or portable device).
- Never give your debit or credit card number or PIN to anyone. We, at Credit Libanais, will never ask you for them.
- When you shop online, only use secured sites that clearly state "Verified by Visa" or "MasterCard Secure Code"-
- Immediately contact the Customer Service Centre whenever you encounter any suspicious activity. Call 1518 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whenever you enter your PIN on an ATM, hide the keypad with your hand to make it difficult for people to see which numbers you are keying.
Taking Care of your Card
Stay informed: Sign up for Credit Libanais SMS Alert service to receive an SMS every time your card is used at a POS or ATM. Our SMS Alert ensures you can keep track of all your card transactions on the spot and can immediately inform us if any discrepancy appears.
This service is offered by Credit Libanais SAL free of charge for the first 3 months and is then is only $1 per month.
Other Safety tips
- Sign the signature panel on the back as soon as you receive your card
- Memorize your pin and do not share it with anyone
- Keep your cards in a safe place and regularly check that they're still there
- If your card is detained by the ATM or is lost, please report this to your bank immediately
- Keep a record of your card numbers, expiry dates and the Credit Libanais SAL Call Center number: 1518. Make sure you have access to this information when you travel.
- Keep your sales and ATM tickets and check if everything is in order when you get your monthly credit card statement from your branch. You can also check your monthly bank account statement and card statement online at www.creditlibanais.com.lb
- Try to keep your cards and cash separately
- Make sure you collect your card after every purchase and cash withdrawal from an ATM
- Never use an ATM with a blank screen or force your card into the slot. If you are having problems with an ATM, contact your bank immediately. Do not accept help from strangers
- Do not count money withdrawn from an ATM in public or in front of strangers
- Make sure no one is looking over your shoulder when you're entering in your pin code at an ATM or POS
- Verify the amount and currency before signing to approve the total amount and make sure the cashier or sales representative gives you your copy of the transaction slip
- Never reveal your online banking or Internet password to anyone over the phone, by e-mail or via the website
- Use safety deposit boxes or room safes in hotels to store your cards and valuables
- For mail and telephone purchases, never share your pin. You will only be asked to submit your card number, expiry date and the last 3 digits on the signature panel
- Never reveal financial account information unless you are paying for a purchase using that account
- For Internet purchases, look for an unbroken key or lock at the bottom of your browser window. This tells you that your card details are being encrypted before being sent through internet. Also check if the website address begins with https// rather than http://
- Do not share confidential data like your card number or pin before verifying the party on the other end.